shakespeare + S-Comedy + S-History +
HAMLET STUDY QUESTIONS
- The curtain opens on what setting (time and place)?
- Why is Francisco happy to see Bernardo?
- Why has Marcellus begged Horatio to join the watch?
- What does the ghost look like? Do? Say?
- What was the outcome of the fight between King Hamlet and Fortinbras?
- Why is there a need for a nightly watch on the palace?
- How are Claudius, the dead King Hamlet, and Queen Gertrude related?
- What is in the letter Claudius is sending to the ailing King of Norway?
- Who is Laertes? Why does he want to leave Denmark?
- Why is young Hamlet grieving? How do Claudius and Gertrude treat his grief?
- Why is the King planning a celebration?
- Who is Horatio? What does he reveal to Hamlet?
- What advice does Laertes give Ophelia?
- What advice does Polonius give Laertes?
- What advice does Polonius give Ophelia?
- How does Hamlet feel about the drunken revelry?
- What mixed feelings does Hamlet have after seeing the ghost?
- Why doesn’t Horatio want Hamlet to follw the Ghost?
- What does the Ghost tell Hamlet?
- How does the Ghost want Hamlet to treat Claudius? Gertrude?
- What does Hamlet make Horatio and Marcellus swear? Why?
- Why does Polonius send Reynaldo to Paris?
- Why is Ophelia frightened by Hamlet?
- How does Polonius explain Hamlet’s behavior? Is he right?
- Who are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern? Why have they come to Elsinore?
- What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern agree to do? Are they betraying their friend Hamlet?
- What is the bedridden King of Norway’s response to Claudius’ request?
- Who wrote the love letter that Polonius reads to Claudius and Gertrude? Why does he read it?
- What is Polonius’ plan for proving that Hamlet’s odd behavior is the result of love madness?
- How does Hamlet feel about seeing his old friends, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern? What do they tell him?
- What does Hamlet request the traveling players to perform? Why?
- What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern report about Hamlet to the king and queen?
- Why does Polonius tell Ophelia to pretend to be reading a book of devotions?
- What bitter advice does Hamlet give Ophelia? Why?
- After secretly observing Hamlet and Ophelia, does the King agree with Polonius--that Hamlet suffers from love madness?
- Why does Claudius decide to send Hamlet to England?
- What final plan does Polonius devise in order to reveal the source of Hamlet’s strange behavior?
- What instructions does Hamlet give to Horatio prior to the staging of the play?
- What do the players pantomime? How is this different from the play that follows?
- What is the play-within-a-play’s title? How does the King react to the play?
- What message do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern deliver to Hamlet from the Queen? What is his response?
- What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern think is the explanation for Hamlet’s odd behavior?
- What orders does the King give to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern? Why do they agree to carry out these orders?
- Why does Claudius identify himself with Cain? Does Claudius have a conscience?
- Hamlet finds Claudius alone, trying to pray, and draws his sword. Why doesn’t he kill Claudius?
- Why does Polonius hide behind the Queen’s curtain? Does she know that he is there?
- When Hamlet enters Gertrude’s chamber, she starts to scold her son. Why does she soon cry out for help?
- Why does Hamlet kill Polonius? How does Hamlet react when he sees Polonius’ body?
- Whose portraits does Hamlet show Gertrude? Why?
- When the Ghost appears in Gertrude’s room, how does she react? What does the Ghost tell Hamlet?
- What does Hamlet tell his mother about his upcoming trip to England?
1. How does Claudius find out that Hamlet has killed Polonius?
- What is the King’s main concern when he finds out that Polonius has been killed? Why does he decide to turn to his "wisest friends"?
- Who is instructed to bring Polonius’ body to the chapel?
- What does Hamlet tell Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about the location of Polonius’ body? Why?
- Hamlet agrees to go with Rosencrantz and Guidenstern--to see whom?
- Why does Claudius tell his courtiers that Hamlet--mad as he is--must not be confined?
- How does Hamlet act when the king asks him about the location of Polonius’ body?
- What does Claudius want the English ruler to do with Hamlet? Do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern know that?
- For what purpose does Fortinbras send his captain to greet Claudius?
- What does Hamlet learn about the Norwegian soldiers when he questions the captain?
- What contrast does Hamlet not between Fortinbras and himself?
- Why does Claudius state that she won’t see Ophelia? Why does she soon change her mind?
- What is Claudius’ theory about why Ophelia is acting so oddly? Is he right?
- Why does Laertes return from France?
- Why does Claudius figure he has to placate Laertes? What do Laertes’ followers want for Laertes?
- How does Claudius calm down Laertes? What does he promise?
- What happens to the ship Hamlet is on?
- How does Hamlet get back to Denmark?
- How does Horatio find Hamlet?
- What two reasons does Claudius give Laertes for failing to apprehend Hamlet and punish him for Polonius’ death?
- How does Claudius learn that Hamlet is back in Denmark?
- What is the King’s original plan for killing Hamlet?
- Laertes and the King come up with backup" plans in case the sharpened foil alone does not kill Hamlet. How do they intend to make "triply" sure that Hamlet dies?
- How does Ophelia die?
- Whose grave are the men digging?
- Where does the first gravedigger go?
- How long has the second gravedigger been in the business?
- Whose skull does Hamlet hold up? What does Hamlet tell Horatio about that person?
- Why does Laertes complain to the priest?
- What happens when Hamlet steps out from the place where he and Horatio have been watching the funeral?
@2001-2005 my calendar *
- How had Hamlet discovered Claudius’ orders to have Hamlet beheaded?
- How did Hamlet see to it that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern would be put to death instead of himself? Did he feel guilty about that?
- What message does Osric bring to Hamlet from the King?
- On whom is the King wagering in the duel? Why?
- Why does the King place a pearl in the cup?
- How does Gertrude die?
- Only Laertes’ foil was sharp and poison-tipped, so how does Laertes get mortally wounded? What does he say before he dies?
- How does Claudius die?
- How does Hamlet know that he is dying? What are his dying wishes?
- Who will be the next king of Denmark?
Film-North * Anatoly Antohin. stagematrix.com
2008 Stoppard © 2005 by vtheatre.net. Permission to link to this site is granted. books.google.com + scholar.google.com