hyperlinks within the text of the play do not work!?
The Showscase for Theatre Biomechanics from script.vtheatre.net *
index * appendix * list * links * popup * SHOWS directory * Script Analysis @ GeoAlaska * Bookmark vTheatre! Biomechanics * Acting ONE * StageMatrix: Theatre Directing theatre theory *
Shakespeare, Carnival and Biomechanics
The Bard, the Scholar and the Director never met.
Nevetheless, they had similar interests. Commedia.
I will stay with one only topic from Bakhtin's theory of laughter -- the Upsidedown World.
First, Meyerhold's take on comical. The mechanical aspect in acting and repetition.
The stock characters and masks. the gender reversal. Girl as Boy.
12th Night = Carnival (Bakhtin).
Black is white, tall is short, hot is cold and etc.
Abstract "The Comic in Shakespeare" for the University of Canterbury, Kent in 2001, June 28-30.
More in script.vtheatre.net Shake pages!
[ TWELFTH NIGHT, A monologue from Act II, Scene ii, by: William Shakespeare ]
* home * about * guide * classes * advertise * faq * contact * news * forums * mailing list * bookstore * ebooks * search * calendar *
@2002-2004 shows *
support pages: appendix * list * references * biblio * links * FAQ * images * 360.anatolant * 2008 *
- VIOLA: I left no ring with her. What means this lady?
- Fortune forbid my outside have not charmed her.
- She made good view of me; indeed, so much
- That, as methought, her eyes had lost her tongue,
- For she did speak in starts distractedly.
- She loves me sure; the cunning of her passion
- Invites me in this churlish messenger.
- None of my lord's ring? Why, he sent her none.
- I am the man. If it be so, as 'tis,
- Poor lady, she were better love a dream.
- Disguise, I see thou art a wickedness
- Wherein the pregnant enemy does much.
- How easy is it for the proper false
- In women's waxen hearts to set their forms!
- Alas, our frailty is the cause, not we,
- For such as we are made of, such we be.
- How will this fadge?  My master
loves her dearly;
- And I (poor monster) fond as much on him;
- And she (mistaken) seems to dote on me.
- What will become of this? As I am man,
- My state is desperate for my master's love.
- As I am woman (now alas the day!)
- What thriftless  sighs shall
poor Olivea breathe?
©2006 Film-North * Anatoly Antohin *
View My Stats
cite: anatoly antohin. URL + date [ my shows : 1. writer * 2. director * 3. dramaturg * 4. actor ]